Colorfast - Color Is King Everyone knows that color is king on a log home stain job, but pleasing the king can be difficult! Wood porosity differences lead to blotchy, uneven results when staining. UV damage causes the wood to yellow your stain or interior clear coat. That once-perfect color is lost. That’s why you need Sashco’s Colorfast™. Colorfast™ strengthens the glue that binds the wood cells together, called lignin, preventing yellowing of the underlying wood cells to help you maintain a consistent color year after year. Before staining, Colorfast™ evens out wood porosity, creating a smoother surface for stain application and preventing over-absorption and a too-dark color. After staining, the lignin stabilizers prevent the wood underneath from getting sunburned, leaving the stain or clear coat applied on top looking the same year after year. Colorfast™ provides the ideal canvas for stain application and leaves behind the strong foundation necessary for long-lasting color. It’s color confidence for your log home. Color: Goes on milky white. Dries clear. Made in the USA. Technical Data | SDS
||40-90º F. Do not apply when rain or snow is imminent
||1 coat under 2 coats of Capture, Transformation Log & Timber, or Transformation Siding & Trim or 1-2 coats Symphony for the interior.
||150-300 sq. ft. per gallon depending on wood porosity.
||Spray and Brush. See Technical Data for details.
||Media blast, power wash, or sand wood surfaces using an Osborn® brush or 60-80 grit sand paper to remove all previous stains and loose, unsound gray or yellow wood fibers, along with mill glaze, pollen, and other surface contaminants. This creates the best surface for Colorfast penetration and stain longevity. If mold or algae is present, apply Sashco’s CPR® in the brightener strength according to the directions, or apply fresh bleach in a 4 parts water to 1 part bleach solution. Allow it to sit no more than 20 minutes, then thoroughly rinse. If necessary, use a chemical remover. (Follow label instructions carefully and ensure wood is back to neutral pH, checking with pH strips.) See Technical Data for more details.
||Allow Colorfast to dry until clear before applying the final stain over it. Often, this is within 2 hours, but check cracks and checks where it may take longer.
||Do Not Freeze. Store above 40°F. If frozen, product is not usable.
||Colorfast™ becomes stickier as it dries! While still wet, clean tools and equipment with either mineral spirits or a citrus-based cleaner. If it has dried, mineral spirits will be required.
Why use Colorfast?
- Keeps the color the color: Lignin (wood cell glue) stabilizers prevent yellowing and darkening of the wood itself overtime, which in turn prevent color shifts in the stain applied over top. Light colors stay light and darker colors don’t shift too dark.
- Reduces blotchiness: Fills pores for a smoother surface and more even stain application. Great for blasted, rough-sawn, knotty pine, or milled logs.
- Prevents picture-frame effect on interior wood: Apply on bare wood on the interior of the home and under Sashco’s Symphony® interior clear coat to avoid yellowing around wall décor.
- Use under any Sashco stain: Using oil-based Transformation Log & Timber? Water-based Capture®, Cascade®, or Symphony®? No problem.
- Easier stain application: Greatly reduces the need to back- brush the stain applied over top.
- Great as a log keeper coat: Prevents mold and yellowing due to UV damage on new wood as it moves from the mill to the job site and throughout construction. Contains both mildewcide and algaecide to help preserve the wood until it’s time to stain. Or, life happened and you need to wait for a few weeks between prep and staining? No problem.
- Seal those ends: When applied heavily on log ends, prevents over-penetration of stain and log ends that are darker than the rest of the logs.