Colorfast - Color Is King
Everyone knows that color is king on a log home stain job, but pleasing the king can be difficult! Wood porosity differences lead to blotchy, uneven results when staining. UV damage causes the wood to yellow your stain or interior clear coat. That once-perfect color is lost. That’s why you need Sashco’s Colorfast. Colorfast strengthens the glue that binds the wood cells together, called lignin, preventing yellowing of the underlying wood cells to help maintain a consistent color year after year. Before staining, Colorfast evens out wood porosity, creating a smoother surface for stain application and preventing over-absorption and a too-dark color. After staining, the lignin stabilizers prevent the wood underneath from getting sunburned, leaving the stain or clear coat applied on top looking the same year after year. It’s color confidence for your log home. Color: Goes on milky white. Dries clear. Made in the USA. Technical Data | SDS
||40-90º F. Do not apply when rain or snow is imminent
||1 coat under 2 coats of Capture, Transformation Log & Timber, or Transformation Siding & Trim or 1-2 coats Symphony for the interior.
||150-300 sq. ft. per gallon depending on wood porosity.
||Spray and Brush. See Technical Data for details.
||Media blast, power wash, or sand wood surfaces using an Osborn brush or 60-80 grit sand paper. If mold or algae is present, apply Sashco’s CPR. See Technical Data for more details.
||Allow Colorfast to dry until clear before applying the final stain over it. Often, this is within 2 hours, but check cracks and checks where it may take longer.
||Do Not Freeze. Store above 40°F. If frozen, product is not usable.
||While still wet, clean tools and equipment with mineral spirits or a citrus-based cleaner. If it has dried, mineral spirits will be required.
Why use Colorfast?
- Keeps the color the color: Lignin (wood cell glue) stabilizers prevent yellowing and darkening of the wood itself overtime, which in turn prevent color shifts in the stain applied over top. Light colors stay light and darker colors don’t shift too dark.
- Reduces blotchiness: Fills pores for a smoother surface and more even stain application. Great for blasted, rough-sawn, knotty pine, or milled logs.
- Prevents picture-frame effect on interior wood: Apply on bare wood on the interior of the home and under Sashco’s Symphony® interior clear coat to avoid yellowing around wall décor.
- Use under any Sashco stain: Using oil-based Transformation Log & Timber? Water-based Capture®, Cascade®, or Symphony®? No problem.
- Easier stain application: Greatly reduces the need to back-brush the stain applied over top.
- Great as a log keeper coat: Prevents mold and yellowing due to UV damage on new wood as it moves from the mill to the job site and throughout construction. Contains both mildewcide and algaecide to help preserve the wood until it’s time to stain. Or, life happened and you need to wait for a few weeks between prep and staining? No problem.
- Seal those ends: When applied heavily on log ends, prevents over-penetration of stain and log ends that are darker than the rest of the logs.
|Notice: Finishes shipped to: CA, CO, CT, DC, ME, MN, NY, OR, RI, VT, & WA will include an additional $0.75 per 1-gal and $1.60 per 5-gal pail sold in order to comply with PaintCare State Law Legislation. (CA is now $0.65 per 1-gal and $1.50 per 5-gal. MN & VT are now $0.99 per 1-gal and $1.99 per 5-gal pail). To find out more go to www.paintcare.org